Happy Mother’s Day!
For this Mother’s Day, our Dining Services Coordinator, Mo, sent us his mother’s recipe for couscous. After her recent passing, he wanted to honor her and prepared a delicious lunch for The Kensington Falls Church community. It was a delectable and beautiful tribute to Mrs. Maghraoui and she will be missed by all. Try out her recipe below!
Mom Maghraoui’s Couscous Recipe
3 Cups of Couscous
2 Tbs of Vegetable Oil
1 Tbs of Smen (Clarified Butter)
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
½ Tsp Turmeric
2 Cups of Water
1 Tsp Ginger Powder
1 Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Pepper
1 Large Pinch of Saffron
2 Cups of Dried Chickpeas (soaked in water overnight) or 1 Can of Chickpeas
1 Butternut Squash
1 Bunch of Parsley
1 Bunch of Cilantro
3 Red Chilies
- Peel and slice all the vegetables in large pieces.
- You will need a Moroccan Couscous Pot. You will use the bottom piece of the pot to cook the Vegetables and the top perforated part to cook the Couscous.
- Place the tomatoes, oil, and onions in the bottom pot.
- Cook on Medium Heat for 10 minutes (Covered)
- After 10 minutes have passed, add the following vegetables: Cilantro, Parsley, Cabbage, Potatoes, Carrots, Turnips, cabbage, and the Chickpeas. (Note: If using canned Chickpeas add these at the end)
- Add 2 cups of Water; continue to cook on Medium Heat for 40 minutes.
Steps to cook the Couscous:
- Prepare the couscous while the vegetables cook.
- In a bowl, mix the Couscous with the oil and water.
- Once the 40 minutes has passes, taste the sauce and adjust your spices accordingly.
- Add the rest of the vegetables: Zucchini, Butternut Squash, and Red Chili peppers.
- Place the couscous in the top part of the pot, on top of the section of the pot that contains the vegetables, cover and cook until you see steam coming up from the couscous. (Approximately 10 minutes)
- Remove the Couscous from the pot and place in a large bowl.
- Add Salt to taste and 1 Cup of Water, then mix.
- Return the couscous to the pot to steam again (approximately 10 Minutes)
- Remove the Couscous from the pot once again and work the couscous with the smen.
Serving the Couscous:
Serve the couscous by setting the couscous grains first in a dome, adding some sauce to the couscous, then adding the vegetables on the top of the ‘dome’ and around.